Monday, October 13, 2008

the long and winding road ...



My oldest brothers is some what of a saint to me. Not only has he experienced some major pitfalls in life but through most of it he has been able to lift his head high and overcome them. I had the opportunity to stay with him during my trip to Utah and I have a renewed sense of hope and understanding. So here is a nod to my hero of a big bro John.

Ever since we were little John was kind of a pest to me he would follow me around being sure to latch on to my social scene. He always made sure to pester me an shove my face in my birthday cake or for no good reason smack me and pretend nothing happened while I got my butt chewed out for being a whiner. As a thank you to me for allowing such behavior from a sibling he would make sure I made it to my classes safely (I had a tendency to cry a lot when at school), that the neighborhood bully Matt (that I egged on from time to time) would remember his place, remind me of the benefits of keeping the rules in mom and dad's house and my most favorite characteristic ... no matter the cost John was always bruttely honest with me from my hair to my life choices.


At the young age of 21 John suffered injuries from a snowboarding accident that has since then left him quadriplegic. I remember our families first reaction "of all the people for this to happen to." It seemed that 21 should be a highlight of a boys life. John instead was learning how to breathe on his own again, taking in the teaching of how to maneuver a wheelchair with his head an simply just how to bend his fingers. There is a bright side of all this hardship. Through it all John has learned about the incredible powers of personal strength and self worth by overcoming the odds . John lives on his own, graduated from SLCC college (first of our family) and hopes to return to get his teaching degree. He currently works at an elementary school teaching under privilages kids. Above all this he is an awesome Uncle to my little one. He has shown her so much diversity and love for all things different in life. I love that because of him my child does not gauk or wonder why we are all so different she just excepts it.

You never realize why you are dealt the trials you are but John has shown us how to overcome them and embrace them for they are truly stepping stones to learn from. I love you John-John, thanks for the memories. Incase you are wondering about the picture, we had the opportunity of playing BINGO with the residents in his apartment building, who would have thought bingo would be so much fun!!

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

That amazes me that with such hardship, he can move forward so well. That is really inspiring.

Beach Mommy said...

I'm glad to hear he's doing so well. I remember hearing his story long ago and have thought of your bro periodically since then. Tell him I love his drive, which I know hasn't always been there but obviously beat out the instinct to give up -