Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Proper Care & Feeding of Husbands


What is the proper care of a husband?
Are men really that standard that most rules apply to all?
Can they really be that simple?

A friend of mine read the book "the proper care and feeding of husbands" awhile back and as she was reading it She said and i quote~ "I had to hide it so that my husband wouldn't be on to me or get any funny ideas." I decided to read this book and I find myself doing the same as my friend:

  • hiding the book in the closet
  • placing the book face down so he doesn't see it
  • read in the bathroom with the door closed, etc. gulp

I must admit that 31 pages into this book I have found myself nodding my head agreeing with most of what is written. Double gulp! Am I more conservative that I have been leading myself to believe? Or perhaps I see a lot of what I do or don't do for my own.
One comment sort of hit home with me and I want to share it with my married friends and family out there in hopes it will challenge them:


"they (wives) run around in mother attire all the time rather than what they used to when they were out fishing for "father" and this continual visual turns most men off or pushes them elsewhere ... Not only do many wives look like mother most of the time, they move about the home constantly in mother mode: barking out orders, directing traffic, and beating the family drum. While this is all well and good, they forget to slip into wife mode, woman mode, lover mode, companion mode during private moments with their husbands."

How many times have you complained that your honey brings his work home with him both in briefcase and head? Likewise for us wives/mother. We should not always be obsessed with our "domestic duties" and "mundane issues" that we fail to reconnect at the end of our mutually challenging and tiring day with the man we chose. I am sure it is frustrating for a man to to deal with the double standard that only takes into account our immediate needs and desires. Would it kill us to step it up a notch? Lets try a little and see how many of us kill over in our efforts.

God's greatest gift, after life itself is love. God created my husband for me and me for him. Love eachother with all your heart and treat eachother like the gift from god we are.

4 comments:

Amberlynn said...

I agree! I read this book a couple years ago as a recommendation from my sis-n-law. I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for the reminder. Love ya!

Liz Hymas said...

holy poop! can you tell have liz read this book without you telling her it was my idea?

Unknown said...

Steve, I think you just blew your cover! And I just put the book on hold at the library.

Thanks, Tommi for the recommendation/reminder. I think I need to go shopping for some non-mommy attire.

Janelle said...

Who's your freaky friend?? :)