Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Week 30 -- A Deal's a Deal

Several weeks back, I came home from work and was greeted by my wife, who was waiting to tell me of an agreement she had reached. You see, at the time Tommi was about 24 weeks along and we were biting our nails hoping he could reach the 28-week point or further. Tommi informed me that during the day, she'd been talking to the boy in her womb, and had made him a deal--"If you can just hang on till 30 weeks, you can do whatever you want to do afterwards."

Well, today marks our 30-week point and our little guy stayed true to his word. But he didn't give us much more. Tommi was admitted to the hospital yesterday evening with what turned out to be HELLP Syndrome (very similar, I understand, to preeclampsia), so our baby boy was delivered via C-Section this morning at 7:00 am. He was 3 lbs., 1 0z., and was 15 1/2 inches long. I am happy to report that Tommi is recovering well after a very difficult evening last night, and was amazing as always. Our new son is in the NICU, but has thus far exceeded the doctor's expectations for him given his gestational age & has been able to breathe without having to be intubated.

We have yet to make a final decision on his name, but will post once we decide. And unfortunately, the CPAP machine helping to give him oxygen makes it difficult to see his face, so I don't have a good picture of his face. But, if he continues through the night to breathe as well as he has been this afternoon and evening, they will take the CPAP off in the morning and give him one of those smaller nasal cannula things. When that happens, I will post some pictures of our little guy's headshot. Till then, here's a picture of him holding onto dad's finger...


Thanks to all for your thoughts and prayers on our behalf. It is impossible to express the gratitude in our hearts for the miracle we've witnessed over the past several weeks.

12 comments:

Dan and Gram said...

Precious miracles and tender mercies. We are all praying for your little family. You better watch out for this little guy--he seems to have as strong a personality as his father did as a baby. We love you!

janice howard said...

He is truly a miracle! I'm so happy to hear that Mom and baby are doing well. We love you so much and you will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers

Suzanne said...

That picture brought tears to my eyes! What a sweet, beautiful sight! We've been anxious to get an update since we heard of his arrival...I hope that the night went well, and that he will just continue to get stronger and do better. Tommi, you are amazing! Such a great example of faith! Your family is in our thoughts and prayers. We love you so much, and we are so glad that the little guy made it here safely!

Jac said...

There is peace in that picture. You have one sweet and very special little boy there. We will continue to pray for all of you. Tommi...my hat goes off to you. You are a good one. Love to all of you!

Laura H. said...

I just started crying when I saw the sweet little picture - happy tears. I'm just so glad this whole ordeal has ended with such a perfect little person. I'm sure you have a long road ahead, but I'm so happy for you!

Marianne said...

Even though I can't see his face very well, I can see what a sweet and beautiful baby he is! What a special little boy!! We are excited to hear what his name will be, as well as to see more pictures. My little family will be in San Diego next week...I know you've got a lot on your plate right now, but we'd love to see you!

Liz Hymas said...

Oh Kenny Chesney...he just said it so well. Today is the first day of the rest of your life and I'm alive and well! (Did you put this song on there on purpose?) What a great thing to start our day! We are so happy for your little miracle and the many little ones that have graced your lives in order to get your little man here. Tommi...YOU are my hero, what an example you are to me of perseverance and unconditional faith. You are amazing. Hang in there with that recovery, PLEASE let me know what I can do! Russ, I can't imagine a better foundation for your family, you have been there to take care of your family and you've done a great job and continue to do great!
We LOVE you guys and can't wait to come visit!

Unknown said...

I've been anxiously awaiting info from mom on Tommi and baby what's-his-name! I want to know what Gracie has named him! I'm so thankful that he's here and doing so well! Hang in there Tommi! We love you guys!

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

I'm so happy for you all and I'm all teary looking at that sweet little angel of yours so very tiny holding daddy's hand. Oh my word that is sweet. I'm so happy he hung on as long as he did and is finally here. Congrats this is wonderful news. Good luck in the weeks to come. Hang in there guys he's in good hands now.

Jen said...

We are so happy to welcome this little miracle to the world! What a blessing. We will continue to pray for your cute little family of four!!! Keep up posted.

Kim and Corey Nasfell said...

YEA!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!! I've been praying and praying that he would stay in there long enough and it looks like he has! HORRAY! What a sweet picture! I'm just sooo happy for your family!

Beach Mommy said...

My eyes are filled with tears of joy for your whole family of 4. Congratulations on your miracle and know you are all still in our thoughts. Give your wife a hug for me please... - Genine and Pat