Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Week 28: Hump Day

Awhile back, a good friend of mine left on a mission. His mom was a single mother, was very close to her eldest son, and was having a hard time coping with him leaving. So, I thought I'd pay her a visit the day after he left. I still remember going into their house and seeing one of those posters of a temple made up of 730 circles for each day of his mission. There was one lonely sticker on that poster representing the one day of his mission that had been completed. It was one of the most depressing sights I've ever seen.

I have to admit to having a few days where I've felt like I'm looking at a poster with a few lonely stickers on it. Now... if I'm feeling that way, I can't begin to imagine what it must have felt like for my wife as she lays in bed all day looking at the calendar on the wall of our bedroom (kudos to a woman that's survived nearly two months of bedrest with little complaint). But today we have cause for celebration--it's a "hump day" of sorts for us. Today our little guy officially completes 28 weeks! We're not there yet, but his chances of being born healthy just went way up.

I won't even try to explain how grateful we are to have reached this day and how blessed we feel. But I will say, "Ahhhhhhh." That's the sound of a nice, deep breath. Which reminds me... time to brush my teeth.

Till Week 29...

10 comments:

Marianne said...

Yahoo for 28 weeks!! Keep him cookin' as long as possible... you're doing great Tommi!! We had a great time at the park last night with the Hymas clan who are here. We certainly missed you guys! Next time...and then we'll have another baby boy to pass around! Love you much!!

Misty said...

Congrats! We are so happy for you. I can't imagine that kind of bedrest...good for you Tommi! We'll keep praying.

J-me Boyce said...

Hip Hip Horay! I am so relieved that you have hit a "safe" day. You have been SO awesome through this whole thing Tom! (You too Russ) I wish so badly I could be there to see that little man when he comes. We are missing you so much too. When I was doing my blog I realized that I don't have any pictures of me and you and am SO bummed about that. For sure when I see ya next (not if but when)
Love yas
Tell Gracie Jadyn misses her too.

Scott and Amy said...

yeah i'm so glad that your getting so much closer to being done with bedrest!!!! i can't wait to come and visit you and see that sweet little baby. how are you feeling? are you coming up with new things that your enjoying to do?? can i do anything for you??? I'm so glad your finally past 28 weeks and almost to 29 yeah!!!

Bonnie said...

What great news, keep up the good work! We are thinking of you and praying for your safe pregnancy and a healthy baby! I love hearing your insights and funny quips, too.

Liz Hymas said...

Oh I am so happy for you guys....way to go, I know it hasn't been easy. You guys are troopers, hang in there! Love you!

Dan and Gram said...

I only did the stickers on the days of a mission for 3 months on my first missionary. After that I put all the stickers on the week they came home -- time went much faster that way! Tommi, you have set a great example for all of us in not murmuring and enduring. Do you have 4 more weeks in you? We love you all!

Jac said...

I am smiling big...glad for such good news! Love you guys!

Jen said...

So excited for this little man to make his long awaited arrival! Glad it's hasn't happened too soon though....

Beach Mommy said...

Congrats and thanks for the updates! you're doing a nice job Russ. Tommi you're loved and being thought of often! Kudos to Gracie too... what a great little helper she's going to be with the baby bro...