Thursday, July 2, 2009

Week 22: Home for the Holiday

A full week has passed since my last post, and I am happy to report that thus far, our little guy has stayed put in his mommy incubator. We were released from the hospital at the beginning of the week, and Tommi is now relaxing in her bed. It's a pretty comfortable bed, which is fortunate for TJ, because she will be spending the remainder of her pregnancy there (which we hope is at least another 10 weeks or so). The 4th of July is Tommi's favorite holiday, so we're crossing our fingers that we can see some fireworks from the bedroom window ... 'cause you know that with a pregnant wife on bed rest, there ain't gonna be no fireworks inside the bedroom, if you know what I'm sayin' (uncalled for, I know, but I couldn't resist).

OK, seriously now...

We've had several days now to ruminate on the questions I posed in the previous post. We are not naive enough to think that, in a week's time, we could learn all that God intended for us to learn from this experience. But Tommi pointed out a New Testament verse the other day that has embodied much of what we've seen over the past week: "... But we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; and patience, experience; and experience, hope." (Rom. 5:3-4). We have certainly had some tribulation that has tested our patience, but that has also brought about some tremendous experiences of God's love and let hope take root. Two noteworthy examples:


  • We have been overwhelmed by the kindness and generosity of family members and friends. Both our mothers immediately jumped in to help with Grace, and enough of our siblings and close friends in San Diego have offered to come to San Diego or have Gracie visit them that we already have the next 6 weeks mapped out! Even more importantly, we have been humbled and touched by the prayers of so many who care for us (many of whom have commented on this board). It's hard to describe the strength we have felt as a result of those prayers, but please know how appreciative we are for your supplications on our behalf.

  • We have also been so grateful for the "tender mercies" of the Lord that we have witnessed recently. I had a very time-consuming transaction at work that was completed just hours before Tommi got the orders to go to the hospital, and gave me the freedom to focus on my family instead of stressing over work demands. And, just two weeks before all this went down, we moved to a quiet La Jolla apartment that is 3 miles from the hospital and close to the ocean, so Tommi can get some nice ocean breezes through the bedroom window. Speaking of the bedroom window, I've attached a picture of the view of the San Diego temple we wake up to each day. If you've got to spend the whole day in bed, it's not too bad of a sight, is it?

Well, I promise to post updates at least weekly from here on out. I know these last two posts have been a little intense, so I appreciate you indulging us. I anticipate that future posts will be much more lighthearted, but we would feel unappreciative if we didn't share some of the thoughts and feelings that have buoyed us up over the past two weeks.

Till Week 23...

7 comments:

Dan and Gram said...

Great update! Can looking out the window count as temple attendance? In your case, Tommi, I think the answer is "yes"; therefore, you can go daily!

Liz Hymas said...

I can videotape some fireworks and send them to you...if you know what I mean. (also uncalled for, but I couldnt resist)

The ocean breeze sounds wonderful, and you cant complain about the view. Take care of yourselves and I hope we are part of your six week Gracie plan.

Scott and Heidi Family said...

Thanks again for the update. I'm glad to hear your little guy is doing better and that you were able to go home. La Jolla sounds wonderful--we didn't even know you had moved again! Tommi, if you're ever bored and need a friend, or a book or movie suggestion, do give me a call! Best of luck, and our prayers are still with you.

Jan & Grandma Betty said...

Talk about tender mercies. Gracie's visit in Salt Lake is one of out tender mercies. She is such a doll and has really livened up this "senior citizen" home. Thanks for sharing her. Know that you are constantly in our thoughts and prayers. (Jan&amp - that's creative.)

Marianne said...

Yahoo for being home! We are SO glad that little guy is still cooking! We will continue to pray for him, and both of you, especially Tommi as I'm sure bedrest will get very boring very quickly!!

We love you guys so much!! We need to go visit Gracie while she's here! Can't wait for the weekly updates!

P.S. What an awesome view!!

The Cannons said...

Phew!! We were seriously praying for you guys. I'm so glad you updated the blog. We were just about to harrass you with a phone call. We will continue to pray for you and hope Tommi doesn't get too cooped up sitting in bed all day. This little guy must be pretty special to be putting you through all this. I have a feeling he'll be a genius.

Beach Mommy said...

Russ, thanks so much for updating all of us through this blog. I fasted for your situation today and am so glad to have this update!Pls email me your new address if you get a chance. I know Tommi has my email. I'd love to send her some things to liven up her stay in the bedroom since YOU Shouldn't be livening anything up:)

So happy for you 3 - Genine, Pat, and kiddos