Saturday, July 4, 2009

Greetings from the Slammer

It's Tommi--I'm back!

I have been charged with a crime! The crime? "Incompetent cervix." The sentence? House arrest (or to be more specific, "bed rest" for 10 weeks possibly a few more weeks after that, gulp). Russ and I are hopeful that with good behavior from the ole' belly, I will get some privileges back--such as walking the grounds for 10 minutes a day or possibly kitchen duty to peel potatoes. I have never thought of myself as a menace to society... clearly, I stand corrected.



This situation has certainly been scary and serious, but I feel some light-heartedness is in order at this point. Of course, this doesn't take away from the importance and seriousness of the situation--there have been difficult choices and scenarios, like having to ship our 4-year-old off for a week at a time to have another mommy watch her. Grace brings so much life to my party, it is far too quiet in my home without her! However, the upside is that she is having a blast and doesn't even know we are not there. We are so grateful for the many people so willing to help us out.

With all that said, I am trying to keep a positive mindset. Thus, I present to you my top 10 list of "The Sunny Side of Bed Rest."
  • I only have to shower every other day if I want.

  • When my honey comes home and my hair isn't done, I don't have to make excuses.

  • I get to catch up on all my books and then some.

  • I am rereading all the Ensign conference editions from the past few years.

  • House work ... what is that?

  • I eat my breakfast in bed every morning. Yes girls, breakfast in bed every morning.

  • The laundry fairy does all my laundry for me, thank you sweet heart. I promise when this is done to always have your laundry done and shirts ironed.

  • A lot time for self-refelction, which is great for me. I appreciate my regular wifey/ mommy life even more now.

  • A nice sabbatical from the world and all its technologies that make me want to go nuts at times.

  • Nap time!

Will I be excited to have my privileges back? HECK YES! But while this bed rest thing lasts, instead of moaning and complaining, I think I will try embracing this experience and make the best of it. Any ideas that anyone has of things to do on bed rest are much appreciated!


I know Russ has said this a million times, but thank you to everyone for the prayers, concerns, thoughts, HELP and love through this. We are hopeful that this will turn out wonderfully.

14 comments:

Jill said...

way to look at the brightside tommi and i hope your 'sentence' will be exactly what is needed for you + that little baby.

and just so you know, queen elizabeth bathed only once a month "whether she needed it or not". the hygiene of queens. :)

Leila said...

You are awesome. What can I do? Do you need anything at all? Anything?

Prayers and fasting already done.

That baby is one lucky guy. He's has fantastic mama. Hang in there.

Leila said...

Let's try that again...

He has a fantastic mama.

And yes, English is my first language. Sad isn't it?

Dan and Gram said...

What do you mean Gracie doesn't even know you're not there? Every time I tell her "no", she cries that she wants her Mommy and Daddy! I think you have 2 genius prodigy.

Liz Hymas said...

We love you! You have a great attitude Tom, please just know you can call me whenever, and we will let you know when we will be up that way incase you want us to come entertain you.

Jen said...

Your sentence sounds nice to me right now. I could use about three days of that....but then I would go crazy! I admire you so much.

Books are on their way.

So am I....in a couple of weeks!

Alisha said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Suzanne said...

I am so glad to hear that things are going okay! You have the best attitude ever. I had to do bedrest for a week and I thought I was going to lose it. But when you're doing it for a sweet little baby, it makes it all worth it. I will pray for your sanity, and for good health for you and the babe. Thank goodness you have such a great hubby to watch over you! Love you!

Beach Mommy said...

I wish I had more suggestions but you've seem to got everything in order... Isn't that just like you:) I'm headed that way next week if I can come make you laugh for an hour or 2... just let me know how I can let myself in without making you get out of bed!

Scott and Amy said...

Tommi your so stiken cute!! way to be positive!! Ok so some suggestions for bed rest, Crossword Puzzles, Sudoku, books: shopiholic series, garden spells, and a few other books from Sophie Kinsley who wrote the shopicholic books. If you know anyone who knows how to knit it is fun to do that. I did alot of blogging and and signed up with Heritage Makers.. it is online scrapbooking if your interested let me know i can hook you up. i'm a consultant.

good luck tommi the time will go by really really fast!!! ok really it doesn't but maybe it will for you. I'm so glad that eveyrhing went well and that every day and week your baby is getting bigger and stornger!! i'll see you in a couple weeks!!

Kim and Corey Nasfell said...

Oh wow, I obviously haven't checked your blog in too long because I had NO idea of the turmoil your family was going through! WHEW! Fortunately for me I got to read all three emails back to back so there wasn't the intense wondering and waiting of "What's gonna happen?!?!" but I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy that you're on bed rest because that means that your little guy is still hanging in there! Wahoo! In my mind that means "Bring on the bed rest!!" :) So happy to hear that you're pulling through and so optimistic! You guys are awesome and we'll be praying for you!

Kenny and Liz said...

Tom...you are amazing!! I can't believe how positive you are about this whole thing, you really are and always have been such an example of how to deal with trials. Thank you. We are so happy that things are looking up for the little guy. Let us know how we can help.... we would love to have Grace.. and hey, I wouldn't mind a SD trip at all :) The perfect excuse! You're all in our thoughts and prayers.

Scott and Heidi Family said...

Hey Tom--you're so great. I love hearing about all the stuff your going through and your always-humorous slant on life. I'm glad to hear about the laundry fairy, breakfast in bed, and good old Tommi time. Take care girl. And if you haven't picked up a Nicolas Sparks book in a while, well then I say it's time! By the way, our door is always open if Grace needs a change of scenery. Totally serious. Send her over any time (I say that like I still live next door huh?)

Bonnie said...

Tommi, I love you! Your posts are so insightful and you are braving this challenge with so much positiveness. Your post about missing Grace made me teary, I can't imagine how you feel. But keep on keepin' on! You are wonderful!