Wednesday, January 16, 2008

You can lead a toddler to the potty but you can't make em go!

Day One of Potty training, Teachers log:

I have bought the necessary tools for potty training. My list consists of Six pairs of princess/pokadot/striped underwear, one pack of princess huggies pull up diapers, play dough, markers, DVDs to watch and lots of potty books. What will I do with the items besides the obvious ones you ask? Well we are camping out at home for four days or five or six, however long it takes to get this thing done so we need lots of entertainment and activities to do as we sit here anticipating the next potty break. I hear the best thing to do is to stay at home, close to a potty and let them run around in the big girl underwear until they get it. I am shooting for a four day max training camp , we will see what the little Ms. has in store for me. Wish me luck!

to be continued...

Follow up to day one: SHE WENT POTTY IN THE BIG GIRL POTTY!!! AHHHHH, I feel so accomplished as a mother. We did the potty dance, which consisted of a lot of booty shaking in a circular motion (Russ taught me that move). We high fived and then called dad with joy in our voices!!! I am so pumped! Day two here we come!

Day Two: Totally deflated! UGH. Not once has she gone in the potty and it is now 3:50. She has gone potty alright, just not in the designated area. I am going to keep it real for you future potty trainers, this is not as easy as it had presented itself to be. I am not giving up though, I am in it for the long haul or until I have pulled out all of my hair with frustration.
End of day two: Not one potty incident to report, just a whole lot of frustration. I now it is only day two really day one of a full day of potty training but it is hard business. One: you get cooped up being home all day. Two: you would think it would be a simple task, take them to the potty sit em down, they go pee. Not in the least bit, it goes more like this,put them on the potty they refuse to bend their legs to sit while screaming in your ear, I don't force it but then she runs to the corner of the room and pees. Deflation. Hopefully tomorrow will be bring a turn of events.

Day Four: As you can see I skipped a day, day three was actually pretty good because I had Russ here to encourage both Grace and I. I have to say having your spouse near by to back you up and encourage you makes a world of difference. We revamped the program, instead of running around and just letting her pee until she hates the feeling of being wet we decided to remind her every fifteen to twenty minutes that she needs to go. Grace sat on the potty I would about 70% of the day on Saturday, ugh. We have only had one accident since Friday though!! I have had to remind her like every hour that she needs to go potty, we aren't to the point where she tells us BUT at least she is going "in" the potty. Books and play dough have been my biggest tool and saving grace. I realize now that we still have some days left ahead of us in the whole process, we are getting there though and that's all that matters.

I hope this particular entry helps future potty trainers know that it is a time consuming often times frustrating task, however, it is so rewarding to watch your child accomplish this goal. Grace is excited, surprised and proud every time she hears herself going potty. My advise at the end of the day is; GOOD LUCK, stay sane and try and have fun with it!!!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, good luck Grace, and stay sane, Tommi! Don't give up!

Keeping up with the Joneses said...

Good Luck to you, Tommi! I'm not looking forward to that with Ella! But, It will be sooo nice when you don't have to change anymore diapers!

Darger Party of 3 said...

Congrats Gracie...and Tommi!

Amberlynn said...

Wow, can you train Valerie too (when the time comes)?? he, he! Sounds like a difficult task!

J-me Boyce said...

oh sister I feel your pain- we are only on day one here and it is rough. I am going to blog mine too...good idea.

Anonymous said...

Grandma Betty remembers when she had two little twins to potty train at the same time. Being the wise women she is, she told me this: The child isn't "potty trained" - it is the mother that "trains herself" to get the child to the potty at regular intervals. We were trained at 13 months. (Mom must have been tired of diapers...no disposable diapers...a wringer washer and no dryer...ugh) Mom would sit us on the big toilet and would kneel in front of us, talking to us. (It was a great bonding experience.) I have had no actual experience myself, except that as a principal I sure called a lot of Mom's to bring dry clothes over to school. Grandma Ann has such a good memory...she probably remembers her actual training experience!

Dan and Gram said...

Actually, Russ should be the one training Gracie. We paid him $15 to train his younger brother, Steve, and he did it in a week! Just remember for every step forward, you'll have a couple of steps backward, too. Endure to the end!