Thursday, August 7, 2008

Attitude ...

I have been thinking a lot about my attitude towards my daily life lately. I often find myself annoyed or bugged by things that are either out of my control or just small things to which I shouldn't even give a second thought. I have been trying to find ways to change my attitude, such as exercising more, reading a fun book, and getting out of the house with Grace more often--thinking that my attititude must be connected to boredom. It wasn't until this morning, though, that I realized the answer was much more simple than that.

The chain of events went like this... I was trying to write my monthly presidency message for our RS newsletter. This month's topic is "Providing Relief." I am thinking, "Ugh! What do I have to say on this topic? I don't know anything about this," "I feel so green in the area of church knowledge," and "I am sure people will read this and go, 'Humf! What does she know?'" As I am researching and typing, typing and researching I came across a talk entitled "Service, a Divine Quality," by Elder Carlos H. Amado. In this arcticle he talked about ways in which we can follow Christ's example in service and then one section hit me like a ton of bricks.

A Change of Thought and Attitude:

"I know that God loves us. He allows us to exercise our moral agency even when we misuse it. He permits us to make our own decisions.

Christ cannot help us if we do not trust Him; He cannot teach us if we do not serve Him. He will not force us to do what’s right, but He will show us the way only when we decide to serve Him. Certainly, for us to serve in His kingdom, Christ requires that we experience a change of thought and attitude.

“For how knoweth a man the master whom he has not served, and who is a stranger unto him, and is far from the thoughts and intents of his heart?” (Mosiah 5:13).

"Christ cannot help us if we do not trust Him; He cannot teach us if we do not serve Him. He will not force us to do what’s right, but He will show us the way only when we decide to serve Him. Certainly, for us to serve in His kingdom, Christ requires that we experience a change of thought and attitude."

My attitude was not just a refelction of boredom, it was a reflection of my spirituality. How embarrasing to think and say. Needless to say I am working on being more positive, more uplifiting, more forgiving ... and the list goes on. The important thing for me to do is work on those things not with a heavy heart or discouragment, but to be hopeful in the midst of all that needs to be changed or learned.

4 comments:

Laura H. said...

Tommi, I hope you don't feel like somehow this makes you "inferior" or "green" to some others who maybe have more of a track history in the gospel. We ALL go through this... daily. At least I do. It's nice to hear someone say it. I've always admired your perspective and personality on issues. Thanks for the uplift!

Laura

Dan and Gram said...

Quite profound, teacher.

Misty said...

again, I say, you are amazing. Awesome insight. Thanks

Unknown said...

Oh, I miss you! You are so wise--thanks for your thoughts. They've really helped me think of how I can better my own attitude. You're so wonderful!